Sunday, January 12, 2014

Spilled Popcorn--The Inspiration



Hey Y'all!
I don't do this very often, but I wanted to offer another peek inside of my mind and what is going through it when I pen my eroticas. Today, I just published a new story entitled Spilled Popcorn, and I wanted to point out where my inspiration came from.
Because I do sit and put alot of thought into each and every story, whether it is outlined or a "cold write" as I call it and just writing off the top of my head.


It all starts with an idea, all my stories do. Initially I wanted to do something with a Jacksons era Michael with an afro and all,but at the moment, the story just wouldn't come. (It will come eventually and I will write and post it.) Frankly I wanted to write a story for my friend Meryn, because I knew she liked the younger Michael. (She likes him through all eras, but thats her fave.) And I write stories for my friends because I like doing nice things for my friends.

Staying with that younger Michael in mind, I decided to completely re-write Thriller. It was perfect to me. I took a young woman, and hadher bump into Michael in a movie theatre during a Vincent Price film festival. (Details, details are important to me!) I even put the woman in animal print denim in ode to Ola Ray. But my girl did alot more than Ola EVER did... haha! (And the girl was partially based on me, so she was much cuter. Her friends are based on my friends, so it's just a bunch of cute girls running around!)  I left Michael as is, because, why mess with perfection?



I used this photo of Michael from about 1982 as my reference point for his physique in the story. For Bad era stories, I look to Come Together and the Annie Liebovitz shoot and all later Michael's are referenced from the You Are Not Alone film. And that rope in his hand supplied loads of imagery. (Wink, wink)



I even spent a good half hour hunting down a candy bar Michael takes ONE BITE out of in the story. ONE BITE. Plus if you've never had a Charleston Chew, you need to! Vanilla filling with the chocolate outside. Yummy!





When it came to the theatre, I took special time to think it out. I wanted the whole thing to go down in one of those fancy, over-the-top movie palaces from the 30s. At first I was going to use Grauman's Chinese Theatre, where all the handprints are, but then I thought about Meryn again. She has a love of things Egyptian and wants to be an Egyptologist one day, so I decided to copy Grauman's Egyitam Theatre instead. (This theatre has since been torn down, but damn if it wasn't a WOW back in the day) Besides, you can't play Vincent Price goodies in any theatre.



This is what the inside of the Chinese Theatre looked like. Opulence, gold and swag everywhere. Can't you just see Michael Jackson sitting there scarfing popcorn by the fistful?





I'm naturally a lover of old films and all things to do with the Golden Age of cinema and this was literally right up my alley. I could spend all day in a spot like this, whether its in the main seats or up in the balcony.



They don't make theatres like this anymore. And since Michael was a key player I tried to put him in the best place I could envision. Whenever I do something, I try to give Michael what I think he would have. He's never poor in a story, and I just try to give him first class every where he goes.



That's real gold up there, by the way. REAL GOLD. Let that sink in for a moment.


I hope this bit of insight has been fun. And there's always another story on the way.
Again thank you for reading! I am so appreciative and deeply grateful!

No comments:

Post a Comment